Looking for a little treat? Indulge in a chocolate-oat bar. I made these bars for my party dinner, they were soft and chewy and not overly sweet. They disappeared before any other dessert.
Chewy Chocolate-Oat Bars
Write a review
2 hr 15 min
2 hr 15 min
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup (from 14-oz can) fat-free sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated milk)
- 1 cup Gold Medal™ whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking oats
- 2 teaspoons butter or margarine, softened
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 8- or 9-inch square pan with cooking spray.
- In 1-quart heavy saucepan, heat filling ingredients over low heat, stirring frequently, until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
- In large bowl, stir together flour, 1/2 cup oats, the baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside. In medium bowl, stir egg, brown sugar, oil and vanilla with fork until smooth; stir into flour mixture until blended. Reserve 1/2 cup dough in small bowl for topping.
- Pat remaining dough in pan (if dough is sticky, spray fingers with cooking spray or dust with flour). Spread filling over dough. Add 2 tablespoons oats and the butter to reserved dough. Mix with pastry blender or fork until well mixed. Place small pieces of mixture evenly over filling.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until top is golden and firm. Cool completely, about 1 hour 30 minutes. For bars, cut into 4 rows by 4 rows.
- * When heating the chocolate chips and sweetened condensed milk for the filling, be sure to use low heat to keep the chips and milk from scorching.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING
- Serving Size: 1 Bar
- Calories 180, Total Fat 7g, Cholesterol 15mg, Sodium 110mg, Total Carbohydrate 27g, Protein 2g, Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 4%, Iron 6%
Christmas Kitchen https://christmaskitchen.org/