Diabetic Cherry-Ginger Upside-Down Cake
Write a review
- 1 1/2 cups frozen unsweetened pitted dark sweet cherries, thawed and drained
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup white whole wheat flour or all-purpose flour
- 2 -3 teaspoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed, or 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar or brown sugar substitute blend* equivalent to 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- Chopped crystallized ginger (optional)
- Fresh mint leaves (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9×1-1/2-inch round cake pan. Line bottom of pan with parchment paper and lightly grease the paper. Arrange cherries in bottom of the cake pan; set side. In a large bowl, stir together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, 2 to 3 teaspoons crystallized ginger, baking powder, ground ginger, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, brown sugar, and oil. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture; stir just until combined. Spoon batter into prepared pan over cherries, spreading evenly.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Run a small knife around the edge of the pan to loosen side of cake. Invert cake onto a serving plate. Remove parchment paper.
- If desired, sprinkle warm cake with powdered sugar, additional crystallized ginger, and/or mint leaves just before serving.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
- Servings Per Recipe: 10, Carb Grams Per Serving: 34
- PER SERVING: 201 cal., 6 g total fat 128 mg sodium, 34 g carb. (2 g fiber, 15 g sugars), 5 g pro.
Christmas Kitchen https://christmaskitchen.org/