Very tasty Diabetic Hazelnut Coffee Cake. My friend who is diabetic told me that I need to make this often. 🙂
Diabetic Hazelnut Coffee Cake
Write a review
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar or brown sugar substitute* equivalent to 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon 60 to 70 percent tub-style vegetable oil spread
- 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted**
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour***
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar or sugar substitute blend* equivalent to 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon fat-free milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x9x2-inch stone or metal baking pan; set aside. For topping: In a small bowl, combine oats, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Using a pastry blender, cut in vegetable oil spread until mixture is crumbly. Stir in hazelnuts. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a small bowl, combine egg, sour cream, the water, and oil. Add to flour mixture; stir just until combined. Place 1/2 cup of the batter into a clean small bowl. Stir in cocoa powder, milk, and vanilla until smooth. Spoon the light-color batter into prepared pan, spreading evenly (batter will be shallow in the pan). Spoon chocolate batter in small mounds over batter in pan. Using a thin metal spatula, slightly marble batters. Sprinkle with topping.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes; serve warm.
- * Sugar Substitutes: PER SERVING WITH SUBSTITUTE: same as basic recipe, except 153 cal., 17 g carb., 80 mg sodium.
- * Sugar Substitutes: Carb Choices: 1.
- * To toast hazelnuts, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread nuts in a single layer in a shallow baking pan. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly toasted. Remove from oven. Let nuts cool for 5 minutes. Rub hazelnuts in a clean kitchen towel until skins loosen and fall away.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- 170 cal., 7 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 20 mg chol., 81 mg sodium, 23 g carb. (1 g fiber, 10 g sugars), 3 g pro.
- Diabetic Exchanges: Other Carb (d.e): 1.5; Fat (d.e): 1.5
Christmas Kitchen https://christmaskitchen.org/