I love stuffed peppers. It was in my family’s dinner rotation growing up, and it remains a staple in my house today. The great thing about stuffed peppers is they’re easy to customize based on your preferences. For instance, I like using red, yellow and orange bell peppers, as opposed to green, and I like to top mine with cheddar cheese like my mom always did when I was young. Recently, I’ve discovered how easy it is to make them in the slow cooker! If you thought stuffed peppers couldn’t get any better, this is something you have to try. Here’s how to do it!
The ingredients you need for this recipe are ones you probably already have on hand: bell peppers, ground beef, rice, onion, garlic, tomato sauce and plenty of cheese.
There is just a bit of prep work to do before cooking your peppers in the slow cooker, but it only takes 15 minutes! First, trim the tops off of the bell peppers and remove the ribs and seeds. In a 6-inch skillet, heat some olive oil over medium-high heat and add some chopped onion, cooking until it softens. Add some chopped garlic and cook for about a minute.
In a large bowl, mix the ground beef, cooked rice, salt and pepper, and then add the onion-garlic mixture until everything is well-combined. Stuff each pepper with the beef mixture and place them in the slow cooker. Before you turn the slow cooker on, pour a can of tomato sauce over the peppers.
Cook on low for about 6 hours. For the last 30 minutes of cooking, sprinkle some cheddar cheese on top of the peppers (if you want to use mozzarella or pepper Jack, those taste great too).
- 6 large bell peppers
- 1 1/2 lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves finely chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 cups cooked white rice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 1/4 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (5 oz)
- Trim tops off bell peppers; remove ribs and seeds. Set aside.
- Place beef in large bowl; set aside.
- In 6-inch skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat; add chopped onion. Cook until onion softens, stirring every few minutes. Add garlic; cook 60 seconds. Remove from the heat; cool slightly.
- Add rice, salt and pepper to beef. Add cooked onion and garlic; mix to combine. Stuff peppers with beef mixture; arrange in slow cooker. Pour tomato sauce over peppers.
- Cook on Low heat setting 6 hours; last 30 minutes of cooking, top peppers with cheese.
- * Use any good melting cheese you like! Mozzarella, Jack or even pepper Jack would all be delicious substitutes.